|Client:||AMCO Rail/Network Rail|
|Location:||AMCO Rail/Network Rail|
The single span under bridge (circa 1905) has been redundant for several years and suffered heavy corrosion on parapet beams and deck plates. Four compound girders formed the main spans, with longitudinal timber way beams. Buried services in the road below included gas mains, HV electric cables and water mains.
Ron Hull Demolition were asked by the Client to look for innovative ideas to avoid use of mobile cranes (where possible). After undertaking a feasibility study we conclude a large counterbalance forklift truck could be safely deployed to remove the bridge deck sectionally.
Preparation and removal was undertaken during 2 no. night time road closures and blockade on the adjacent live bridge.
Possession No. 1 - Preparation Included:
1. Removal of the 2 no. pilaster walls at west elevation to enable parapet clearance (road plate protection installed on kerbs).
2. Flame cutting of deck plates and 75% of the transverse tie beams.
3. Flame cut slots in parapet beams to attach forks.
Possession No. 2 - Removal Included:
1. Final cutting of "tags" on deck plates and remaining transverse tie beams.
2. Lifting out individual span beams and parapet beams working from west to east.
3. Loading of section on to low loader and transporting of site.
The Project was completed well within the programme without incident or damage to remaining structures/road/kerbs.